Sunday, September 23, 2007

Grand Canyon North Rim ~ 9/20




I don't know exactly what I expected, but it wasn't this. The canyon is awesome, but somehow I feel a little under whelmed. It might be that there is so much pollution, smoke, haze? It has taken me some time but I think I figured it out. I have watched too many documentaries on the Grand Canyon; where they show the beautiful areas by the Colorado River.

The "room" we're staying in is considered a Pioneer cabin. These cabins are in rows and run end-to-end in uneven rows. We re in the second row and once again you have to trust me, we are very close to the rim. I could stand at the front door and throw a stone into the canyon and I'm not a very good thrower. It would be very hazardous to one if they had trouble with sleep walking.

These cabins are very rustic. It is a true log structure, lots of cobwebs, one overhead light for the room and even for the they had to run conduit, then there is one overhead light for the bed. Someone must have complained that there was no light by the bed, as they ran the bed light off of the main room light via a chain. Now mind you they room is only 10x10. The only electrical outlet is by the window. In order to do my hair, I had to sit on the floor and use my little mirror. I wonder how the frontiers people did it.

To date, the most amazing thing about being here is that I have NEVER seen clearer night skies. The stars are magical. Honestly, it is so crystal clear that you get an entirely different feeling about the sky. You really feel like you could reach out and touch. Everyone should get to experience this at least once in their life!

This is actually the start of sunset. It was amazing how the canyon gets brighter as the sun sinks.




This fellow was just wonderful. He gave a talk on the geology of the canyon. He is fresh out of college and has a geology degree. He did a great job and made it really lots of fun.

This little fellow was located in the lodge. Everyone was supposed to


No comments: