Friday, August 17, 2007

The Arch, St. Louis


We have had a 5+ star day. We arrived in St. Louis around 2PM EST. We're staying in a beautiful place and will be here 3 nights. Remarkable (after yesterdays problems) everything has gone extremely well.

After we got settled in ... we walked to the "Arch", just 1 block away. It is considered the "Archway" to the West and also known as the "Extended" memorial to Thomas Jefferson ... as he was the president that "commissioned" Lewis & Clark to go forward.

The "Arch" is amazing. The park is on the Mississippi river and has beautiful walks. The actual Arch is 630 feet tall, although one goes underground where there are museums of all sorts. We viewed a wonderful movie about the way-westward. Down under is also where you catch the "tram" to the top. OK ... this is for Pam ... you don't want to do this if you have even the least bit of claustrophobia! Trust me.

The "tram" (I'd call it more like an extremely small capsul ... no one can sit up right as your head hits the side/ceiling and everyone's knees touch.) takes 4 minutes to reach the top. It is a very noisy, hot trip and did I mention the "tram/capsul" swings. Once you step out-of-your "tram/capsul" you are in an area where the floor shakes ... it is crowded and has lots of kids running and screaming. Then there are these very small windows that one is supposed to lean into and look outside ... I DON'T THINK SO. I was in the next "tram/capsul" down. I can only think ... I did it!!

Love to all!

4 comments:

the KD said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
the KD said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
the KD said...

Capsule? Not in this lifetime.
Did you know that they are adding a second arch next spring, and painting them yellow.

Several rules in life:
do not eat anything bigger than your head
do not get in ANYTHING too small to sit upright
do not change hotels 5 times in one nite

May said...

I was in that arch back in high school when I went there for an FFA convention. It was an amazing view!!! I'm glad you are having fun so far. I got Aunt Carolyn's post card today the picture is just beautiful!!!! Love to both of you!