Saturday, August 25, 2007

Custer's Last Stand - Montana - 8/25

This is looking up towards the 'mass' grave for the soldiers. The markers are where some of the soldiers fell ... there are many markers throughout the park.
Looking down ... Custer's marker is the darker one in the middle.

This is an example of those markers outside the fenced area.

The markers for the Indian's that fell are made of red granite. The park service has been marking Indian sites since 1999 and they have marked 18 to date. They are continuing to do research ... there is no account for how many Indians died.
There were multiple tribes that fought ... if you look, you'll see that each Indian marker denotes the specific trip.
This is Carolyn's favorite place so far on the trip. It has given her a more objective understanding and the ranger talk was really interesting. He talked for 45 minutes and he really demonstrated his passion for the area. He really kept our attention.
I agree with Carolyn's take, however; I find this place very disturbing. White man so mistreated the Indians ... I have a hard time enjoying this area.

6 comments:

Cathy said...

Beth - I've just perused all your recent posts. You've got a terrific eye. I'm so glad you're handing that camera back and forth. It's nice to see a pix of my kid-sis.

Beth said...

Thanks Cath ... I'm really enjoying my new Camera ... it does great close ups and it's so user friendly!

love, b

Anonymous said...

Custer's Last Stand....thick with emotion on every level. I remember just feeling quiet there...which I know is quite a feat! Your blog is terrific! I look forward to viewing it every day. Be safe you two! robin

Beth said...

yeah ... I found it sad at every level ...

Beth said...

your'e the one with the eye sister ... i still need to figure out how to edit my pics.

Anonymous said...

Beth, love your blog & esp. the great pics. Ron & Pat will be in Helena, Mt. 9/5-9/19. Would love to see or hear from you. We will have our cell ph. with us. Know you are having a great time.
Hope to hear from you. Pat & Ron