Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Mt. Rushmore - I'm in love - South Dakota

The above is the original design.



You might ask why these four presidents were selected ... Borglum declared that they represented 150 years of American history. Washington represented the BIRTH of our country, Jefferson symbolized EXPANSION as he was largely responsible for the Louisiana Purchase in 1803, Lincoln embody the PRESERVATION in confronting the challenges of the Civil War and Roosevelt represented DEVELOPMENT by construction of the Panama Canal.
During our walk around the park a tourist pointed out to his wife that Washington and Lincoln were looking right and the Jefferson & Roosevelt were looking left ... she quickly pointed out that it was their political bent. I thought that was pretty cute ...

This park is again so beautiful. Carolyn and I are so grateful to be here this time of year ... there just aren't many people ...


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

HEY YOU, its me! I AM happy to report that Baxter seems to have taken a turn for the better. After 36 hours of depresseion, Debbie showed up and all of sudden the Mac Daddy of Dogs (missing his special woman) was himself! Thankfully I will not have to take him to the Vet tommorow. I am thinking they need a place for a woman up there in the rocks. What do you think? Me

May said...

The pictures are amazing! How gorgeous. I can't wait to show David and the kids. This is a terrific history lesson for them to follow you two! Staying out of trouble?? hahahaha! I know, I know it's a hard thing with you two together. :o) All my love!!!

Anonymous said...

Baxter continues to improve this morning. I just talked to Carolyn and was glad she was up. You all are covering some ground. The pictures are great. You have tour guide touch my dear! Talk to you soon. PS. The good thing about living in Mud huts is that you don't live very long. Your already two feet under. Fred

Anonymous said...

hello! the badlands were beautiful! again, great pictures! the boys were most amazed about the Arch, and when i showed Thomas the Mt. Rushmore pictures, we were looking at the first model of it and Thomas said, "That's not Mt. Rushmore." i guess he knows his stuff, sort of, but that is pretty good for an almost 9 year old!
loveyou, erin

Anonymous said...

Beth and Carolyn,

Thanks for all the beautiful pictures and description of your travels. It's like almost being there with you! Well, not quite, but we do enjoy knowing you're having a wonderful trip.

Miss you!!!

Love,
Pam and John