Thursday, October 4, 2007

Chimney Rock Hike - Ghost Ranch - 10/3

Today's hike was taking me to the tip of the mesa, overlooking Chimney Rock. I had a couple of hills to get over and then the trail went up the backside of the mesa. At the trailhead, the sign warned to stay away from the edge and that the trail was not 'maintained'.
The next 4 pictures are of the actual 'trail'. It was quite a challenge as the trail was often nothing more than a gulley wash. Actually, the challenge came when I tried to get off the mountain, more later.



Because the path was so undefined, I got lost when attempting to come back down. I found the downward path; however, at the first gulley people had created another path that took you around the mesa and brought you back out at the tops edge. Boy, was I surprised when I looked up and realized that I was back at Chimney Rock. I just started laughing. A couple was sitting up there and he told me ... just keep going 'down'. OK, I made it, but what a trip.
This picture was taken from the edge of the mesa. The views were magnificent.


These shots are of the 'other' side of Chimney Rock. Again, I took them from the edge of the mesa.

The following are twisted wood. I would normally have called this type of wood 'drift' wood; however, in this case I think it should be called, 'wind' wood.
This wood still had life in it...

These flowers are so little; maybe about the size of 3 pin heads. Notice the cracked earth this little daisy is trying to grow in ... amazing how stuff adapts.
These little flowers might have been the size of 2 pin heads.
Juniper in full berry mode. I've never seen so many berries on a Juniper at one time.

No comments: