Monday, October 1, 2007

Navajo National Monument

There was a 1/2 mile trail down to the overlook. Because I hadn't had any exercise in a day or so, I walked the trail 3 times up & down. It was really fun, as you get to know people a wee bit better as they comment about one having so much energy ... right? This ruin is called Betatiake ... OK, don't be too impressed yet ... Carolyn's not here and I know the "Beta" part is right, I just don't remember the rest. So, I'll have to update the name later. Prior to taking a picture of an Indian, it is only proper to ask for their permission. When I first observered her, she had a jar that said, "Donations Welcome", so I put in $5. I then did my walk and came back. I asked if I could take a picture and of course she didn't remember me ... so ... this picture is worth $10 ... feel free to do anything with it you want.
This are the original types of Hogans, made with logs and covered with mud.
The top of the roof.
This is a Sweat House were they bathed. It is really small. There is no way anyone but a young child could stand in it.Inside the Sweat House.

No comments: