Sunday, September 23, 2007

Bryce - Queen's Garden & Navajo Loop Hike

Oh my goodness, oh my goodness, oh my goodness. I really did it today. for those of you who know me and know in flat Florida I can walk 4 miles in about 55 minutes. Well, this hike took me 2 hours & 10 minutes and I would guess half of it was going 'steep' switchbacks, no kidding around. Fred this made what we did a "cake walk" ... well ... not exactly!

When I started down the trailhead, I kept seeing vistas and scenes the likes of which I just couldn't believe. I took 79 pictures in total, the winds were gusting 46 miles per hour so, I promise to not make you look at all of them. I was being blown around and even my camera with a stabilizer couldn't accommodate my swaying. The walk down was by far the most awe inspiring hike I have EVER taken. It was only .8 mile and when I got to the bottom of the canyon, I thought, I have to take a longer walk than this ... so ... I found another path, "Navajo Loop", and off I went. (No one should worry; just because I had no idea where it went, there were lots of people on this trail! I would guess 80% of them were foreign.)

Not having any idea of where I was going, I begin to ask people on the trail. That in itself was a whole other experience. The first couple I asked didn't speak English very well; I couldn't understand a word he said, even though he gave it his best shot. I just said, "thanks" and kept going. Anyway, as I proceeded I started to ascend, let me tell you the switchbacks were really steep and getting out of the canyon was no easy task, But I made it. It was a 580' elevation change.

I caught my breath and started back down. No problem, well maybe the knees, I probably took another year or two off of them. I get across the valley and once again I start up on the Queen Garden side. Well, what I didn't remember was that the switchbacks at the top side get steeper as you go up. I would love to know what % grade the path was. Every time I went around a corner, I groaned, it was just unbelievable ... but I made it. Fred, even my quads were tired after all this.

The wind was like nothing I've ever experienced. Even hurricanes can't compare to this. As I started to ascent, it was very still and then in the distance you hear 'it'. It started as a whisper and then it started to build and then get louder and finally crescendo to a roar and then it would reverse itself. It wasn't only the sound, but as the wind got louder, it got stronger, blowing you inside out. Really unique stuff when you're standing in the middle of the hoodoos that are 100 feet tall or taller. WOW. OK you scientist out there, does a 45 mile per hour gust get faster because it is forced to go through the hoodoos?

One little happening on my adventure; as I was going up, I said "hello" to a man who responded, "Bon jour". I responded back, "Bon jour", like I really know French. On my way down, I met him again and he starts rattling off in French something, oh boy, now I've done it. I had no clue what he was talking about. But as hand signals go, we determined that he was amazed about my going up & down. We both laughed and moved on.



This was part of my path.

Aren't these cool?



These are called Grottos. This one was pretty close to the trail.

Yes, those are people and that was where I was headed.

Yep, still going up. This pictures reflects the switchbacks on the Navajo side of things.

This part of the path was so steep all I could see was the path and blue sky. Then I looked up and this is what I saw. At the bottom of this pic is the path and the edge just falls off into nothingness.


One more example of what steep really means. Note the person on the top side of the path.

This is a famous hoodoo called, Hammer of Thor.

Just another example of the path.
I just loved this dead wood. Notice how twisted the wood is ... oh how that wind blows around here.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic photos! Thanks for sharing...I know I'll never be able to walk on the trails; you have shown us views we would never be able to see at our age. Maybe someday we'll take the shuttle.