Thursday, September 6, 2007

Waterton, Canada - Glaier National Park

This is the "Prince of Wales" hotel, it was built by the Great Northern Railway and brought the rich to the area in the 1920's. It is amazing inside, all though I've not been to the Old Faithful Inn yet ... I have a feeling it might be of the same architecture. The view from the lobby / restaurant is magnificent. It looks down the Waterton Lake which is truly stunning. They call this area "little Switzerland" and I can only hope that some of my pictures will demonstrate why.
This is the village of Waterton from the Prince of Wales.Kilmorie Lodge is where we resided ... it was built in 1926. It was very charming and located on Waterton Lake. The lake crosses the Canada / US boarder. We took a boat ride to the US side and pictures will be in another post. The town has a wonderful walk that follows the lake quite a ways; however, there had been bear sighting so we didn't walk all that far.
Yes, Waterton had deer going through the middle of town ... one could get really close ... they are so tame. Actually, the drought is so bad that the deer come into town to eat the 'watered' grass.


Well, I tend to think this will remain my favorite place of the entire trip.

3 comments:

Cathy said...

Just charming. Simply beautiful. I can see why it may remain your favorite place.

May said...

I love watching deer graze. David's mom and dad have a mom and twin babies in the back marshy area of their house. It's a 38 acre field in which the park district is trying to bring it back to it's original state of being a bog. There are always many deer around and they come up in her yard to eat her lilacs. I dont' think she appreciates that as much as seeing them from the distance.hahaha!

Beth said...

I can see where deer eating my flowers could be a wee bit of a concern for me. Actually in Waterton, all flower pots, gardens, trees had wire over them so the wildlife couldn't get to them.