Friday, September 28, 2007

Jeep Ride in Canyon de Chelly - 9/28

I can honestly say that this was our worst day of the trip to date. OK, let me rethink that, it is our only bad day of the trip.

We hired a private jeep company to take us into the canyon, the trip took 7 hours and was really expensive. Understand, the only way to go into the canyon is by a Navajo guide. We saw many ruins, petroglyphs and pictographs. That was interesting enough; however, our guide left a little bit to be desired, it was so exhausting that Carolyn & I had words at the end of the trip. That has never happened in any of the many trips we've taken over the years. Not to worry, we've made up and hugged, we were just so darn exhausted and the guide was so trying.

Some of these ruins date back as far as 700AD or before.





I'm forever taking pictures of plants & flowers. These were on the canyon floor.



These are petroglyphs & pictographs ... some are as new as 1800's and some as old as 700AD.












6 comments:

Jay River said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cathy said...

Hi Beth -

It's Mom here at the Outback reading your blog and it's wonderful.

Can't wait to talk to you in person about your wonderful trip.

So many things I would like to hear about in depth.

Loudonville Fair is going up - pig pens and all and Ann's coming in Friday evening.

I've had the gout since my dismissal from the hospital - I'm seeing Dr. Frasier on Monday AM - so alls well.

Looking forward to seeing you and that's the truth -

You Mom
P.S. Cathy sends love and a hug :0)

Anonymous said...

Hey, It was bad day for the Gators and Sunday wasn't much better as Norm and Buckeye Bob took Don and I to the cleaners. It was great day though, windy from the east - a big limb came down from above our house - and less humidity. What great pictures you are taking. You should be a tour guide. Me!

May said...

Hi everybody! I have loved the pictures. I fell behind. Amanda was in the hospital for a week. They thought appendix, but turns out she has Crohn's Disease. Keep the pictures coming! They are just magnificent!!!!!

Love always,
May

Beth said...

May, I hope that Amanda is feeling better, that poor kid, she has been through enough already!

Jay, thanks for the links to other pictures/films! I'll take a look.

Beth said...

Jay, I finally got to view your sites. Thank you so much ... wonderful stuff.