Monday, September 24, 2007

Sedona - Back Roads

Well, it was about 9AM when we left Flagstaff to go the 28 miles to Sedona. Carolyn had had her coffee and was talking endlessly about the Wells Fargo Bank event when she tried to cash travelers checks and the teller didn't have a clue as how to handle it and I was listening intently. It was pretty bad, the gal was clueless and I'm being kind.

So in that light, I missed the turnoff on route 89Alt. We were headed to Phoenix. It took me about 10 minutes to realize my over site, commonly known as a mistake. I took the next exit and it happened to be Schnebly Road. You ask, who is Schnebly? He was one of the first settlers who got the original post office and named the city Sedona. I guess Schnebly was just too long and saying the word Schnebly just doesn't have the same ring as Sedona.

We pulled out our 5 or 6 maps, viewed the GPS and started looking, it was going to be closer, not necessarily faster to take the road. As we turned onto the road there was a big warning sign that indicated this road was for only trucks and all terrain vehicles. For those of you that don't know, I now have a Santa Fe, that has a high under carriage. So, we started, I ensured Carolyn that we could always turn around if it got too bad.

We started, is probably took us 2 hours to go the 12 miles. Oh but the views, it was just amazing. For most of the road I went under 10 miles per hour and that's no joke. We were all over the road as I constantly had to find the least path of Resistance. OK, it got pretty bad, I'll admit. I have never driven on anything worse. It was GREAT! We are both so glad we did it. The views of the red rock were magnificent.

Just a note, there were a couple of cars (Taurus & a Van as examples) on this road. All kidding aside, these people were crazy ... I wonder if they made it out.

As we got closer to Sedona, we started seeing the "Pink Jeeps & Hummer" tourist rides on the road. We laughed, they payed a minimum of $60 each, it cost us a gallon of gas, maybe, and we had full control. We loved it, we agreed that we created another great memory.

When we got into town, we hit main street. Carolyn had been here 20 years ago and was surprised/disappointed about how touristy it has become. Tons of people and lots of tourist shops. Well, we did buy some 'stuff' of course.

We then went to Tlaquepaque Center. It is an area built like a Mexican shopping area. WAY COOL. Shops were of varying degrees. I found one that had a beautiful purse. Price $2659.00. Don't worry Fred, I didn't buy it. It wasn't 'that' special.

This is Carolyn having her ice cream under the arch at Tlaquepaque.

This was taken from the car. The red color once again does not even begin to reflect the real view.

And these are the good parts of the road! It only got worse as we went over the 12 miles of rock road, meant for only trucks & all terrain vehicles.




These looked like silk so I had to touch, they were REAL. These were in a pot at Tlaquepaque.

The field at the top of the road were filled with these yellow beauties.

No comments: