Sunday, September 23, 2007

Pipe Spring National Monument

Pipe Spring Arizona ~ 9/20

On our way into the park Carolyn comes through again. We stopped at Pipe Spring National Monument. Rather an interesting place, it is where the Mormons built Winsor Castle, yes the fellow that built it was named Winsor. No resemblance to England’s Windsor Castle … trust me.

This monument is about 15 miles from Colorado City, where the fundamentalist Mormons currently reside. You know, more than one wife type of stuff. At one point in planning this trip, Carolyn wanted to visit the city. I was honestly a wee bit uncomfortable, but would have gone along for the ride; however, she very kindly said we didn’t have to stop. I was more than a little relieved; something about going to an area to look at the people just didn’t set well with me. In the end, she agreed. Although we both admit it was tempting. Yes, this is the castle. I failed to take a picture while there so I took this off the pamphlet.
This was the only original thing in the castle. It was carried across the country in a wagon.
This was the original telegraph spot in Arizona. It was controlled by the Mormons.
I took a 1/2 mile walk and these were some of the plants.





This is what the Piute Indians used as homes.
These were examples of some of the wagons used in the late 1800s.


No comments: